Marketing Lessons You Can Learn From a Coffee Shop

Whether you're running late to your business meeting or claiming a cozy chair for the rest of the afternoon, coffee shops provide a comfortable and enjoyable environment to all who enter (unless you can't stand the smell of coffee — then the patio might be your best bet).

At Who's Calling, we're all people watchers and noticed that there are quite a few marketing lessons we can take away from our local coffee shop.

Baristas Serve More Than Just Coffee 


Since only 54 percent of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee every day, coffee shops offer a variety of beverages to reel in the other 46 percent. Whether it's green tea, chai or a big cup of hot chocolate, coffee shops have learned to build on their current menu to bring in new customers. The same is true for your marketing. To gain new customers, you have to give consumers what they want. Sometimes that means expanding your product offerings to include some niche products and services that offer benefits specific to your audience. Just remember, don't lose sight of what you do best.

Coffee cup with coffee beansCampaigns Change With the Seasons


From Pumpkin Spice Lattes in the fall to seasonal red cups in the winter, Starbucks takes brewing a hot (or cold) cup of joe to the next level. Starbucks is constantly running seasonal campaign items to reflect the notion that the company is always relevant — not just during certain seasons.

As a marketer, you can use the constant change in seasons to your advantage to keep new and old customers excited. First, you have to figure out what consumers want, and then you have to make it happen. Sounds easy enough, but you'll have to change up your marketing frequently keep up with current trends. If you're not flexible enough to roll with the changes, your message won't capture your audience's attention.

Regulars Keep Comin' Back


If there's one thing coffee lovers have in common, it's that they are very particular about their order. If John orders a nonfat soy mocha latte with extra cream, John means it, and he expects it to taste exactly the same every single time. If a coffee shop keeps that lovely drink consistent, John will spread the word and return for more nonfat soy mocha lattes with extra cream.

Loyal customers are worth up to 10 times more than their first purchase. Bad customer service can make customers try new brands and leave yours. To make sure your employees are providing top-notch customer service, try investing in a call recording tool so you can review phone calls and enforce high standards.

For more fun facts and figures on customer experiences, check out this infographic.